What's the difference between R6250 Smart Wi-Fi Router and R6200/R6300 routers?
R6250 is the AC1600 router: It supports Max 1300Mbps at 5GHz, and Max 300Mbps at 2.4GHz.
R6200 is the AC1200 router: It supports Max 867Mbps at 5GHz, and Max 300Mbps.
R6300 is the AC1750 router: It supports up to Max 1300Mbps at 5GHz, and Max 450Mbps at 2.4GHz.
Why do I need to always have the latest firmware on my NETGEAR product?
Having the latest firmware will help increase the stability, functionality and performance of your product. The new and most up-to-date firmware will likely correct issues as well as potentially add new and improved features to the product.
With 802.11n wireless adapter, does R6250 Smart Wi-Fi Router have better performance than 802.11n router?
If you use 11n wireless adapters to connect with R6250, the maximum connection speed is the same as to connect with 11n wireless router. For example, by 1x1 11n wireless adapter, you could get maximum 150Mbps link rate, and by 2x2 or 3x3 11n wireless adapter, the maximum link rate is 300Mbps at 2.4GHz. We recommend using 11ac Wi-Fi capable wireless adapters to use with R6250; such as NETGEAR A6200 wireless adapter.
How do I install the R6250 in bridge mode to connect various devices at 802.11ac speeds?
Please use any Netgear 11ac WIFI router like R6300/R6250/R6200/D6200 on the other end and install it in bridge mode to setup an 11ac WIFI connection. Please follow the instructions to setup R6300/R6200 in bridge mode: How to setup Bridge mode on R6300?
How to set up bridge mode on the R6250 Router GUI?
Make sure that the base router (the router that the R6250 will connect to) is operational and able to connect wireless devices. Make a note of the following items: SSID, security mode, wireless password, operating frequency (either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz)
- Log in to the R6250 Router by typing routerlogin.net on an Internet browser's address bar.
- Go to Advanced tab > Advanced Setup and click Wireless Settings.
- Click Use other operating mode and select Enable Bridge mode.
- Click Setup bridge mode wireless settings and configure the following items on the pop-up window.
- Click the drop-down menu to choose the wireless network frequency (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) of the router you are connecting to. Please choose 5GHz to setup in 802.11ac mode.
- Type the wireless network name (SSID) of the router you are connecting to.
- Select the security mode of the router you are connecting to.
- Type the passphrase of the router you are connecting to.
- Click Apply.
- Click Apply again on the Wireless Settings screen.
Congratulations, you've finished! The R6250 router will reboot and connect to the base router in a few minutes.
What is WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)?
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a standard for easy and secure establishment of a
wireless network. Traditionally, users would have to manually create a wireless network name (SSID), and then manually entering a creative, yet predictable security key on both the router and client to prevent unwanted access to their wireless network. With WPS, it will automatically configure a wireless network with a network name (SSID) and strong WPA data encryption and authentication.
WPS can be enabled using 2 options:
- PIN (Personal Identification Number) Method, in which a PIN has to be taken either from a sticker label or from the web interface of the WPS device. This PIN will then be entered in the AP or client WPS device to connect.
- PBC (Push button configuration) Method, in which the user simply has to push a button, either an actual or a virtual one, on both WPS devices to connect.
Does R6250 have USB 3.0 port?
There is a USB port on the back side of R6250; it's a USB 3.0 port. You could use the USB port to connect your USB drive, HD, or Ready SHARE printer. The USB 3.0 read/write speed is 2-3 times faster than USB2.0 port.
Where can I find more info about the ReadySHARE features- USB Storage Access and Printer?
ReadySHARE Print lets you connect a USB printer to the router's USB port, and you could access the printer wired or wirelessly.
To set up ReadySHARE Print:
Step 1: Connect the USB printer to the router's USB port with a USB printer cable.
Step 2: Install the USB printer driver software on each computer that will share the printer. If you do not have the printer driver, contact the printer manufacturer to find and download the most recent printer driver software.
Step 3: On each computer that will share the printer, download and install the NETGEAR USB Control Center utility.
You MUST install this utility before you can use the ReadySHARE Print feature.
Note: The NETGEAR USB Control Center utility has a Mac version and a Windows version.
For more information on the ReadySHARE features, see www.netgear.com/readyshare.
Step 4: Follow the instructions in the utility to connect to the printer from your computer and print. If the printer is not in the "Available" state, select the printer from the list and click Connect.
I can't access R6250 web setup page.
- Please make sure the connected PC/NB or mobile phone is set to DHCP mode or dynamic IP address.
- If the computer is set to a static or fixed IP address (this is uncommon), change it to obtain an IP address automatically from the modem router.
- Please make sure the device receives an IP address. Close the browser and reopen the browser and input www.routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com in the browser URL bar.
- If you have tried all three steps above, and you still cannot access the setup page, please restart R6250 and try again.
- Reset R6250 to factory default if you confirmed none of the above steps worked.
How do I get the latest firmware?
During installation via the Web Genie, R6250 looks on the web for the latest firmware and automatically installs it. In addition, the FW on the GUI also support auto firmware upgrade. The firmware will check the latest FW on web site every time when you login the GUI.