How do I access the boot menu on my ReadyNAS 3200 / 4200?
Use the boot menu to restart or troubleshoot your ReadyNAS unit. It has the following boot modes:
WARNING: The factory default reboot process resets the unit to factory settings, erases all data, resets all defaults, and reformats the disk to X-RAID2.
- Normal. Initiates a normal boot process, just like booting using the Power button.
- Factory default. Initiates a short disk test that takes approximately 5 minutes, then begins a 10-minute time-out period waiting for RAIDar. During the 10-minute time-out period, the system can be powered off safely without causing any data loss. After 10 minutes, or if you select the factory default option using RAIDar during the time-out period, the factory process begins.
WARNING: Use the skip volume check boot mode only when instructed to do so by a NETGEAR technical support representative, otherwise data loss might occur.
- OS reinstall. Reinstalls the firmware from the internal flash to the disks. Use the OS reinstall boot mode when the system crashes and corrupts some configuration files. OS reinstall boot mode also resets some settings on your storage system, such as Internet protocol settings and the administrator password, to defaults.
- Tech support. Boots into a low-level diagnostic mode. Use the tech support boot mode only when instructed to do so by a NETGEAR technical support representative.
- Skip volume check. After a system crash, the system tries to scan and fix the volume via a file system check. If several problems are found on a disk, this process can stall, causing the system not to boot. Use this option to skip the scan and let the system boot
- Memory test. Performs a memory test. The pass or fail result is reported using the storage system's LEDs. Contact a NETGEAR technical support representative to interpret memory test results.
- Disk Test. Performs an offline full disk test. This can take 4 hours or more, depending on the size of your disks. Any problems are reported in the RAIDar discovery tool.
To access the boot menu:
- Power off your unit.
- Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button.
- Press the Power button to power on the unit.
- Continue to press the Reset button until the power diagnostic LED and the fan LED are both lit.
This takes approximately 1 minute.
- Release the Reset button.
- Press the Reset button within 2 seconds to enter the boot menu.
- Press and release the Reset button to scroll through the boot menu options.
Watch the blink pattern of the power diagnostic LED and the fan LED. The following table shows the how the system displays the current option using the power diagnostic LED and fan LED.
- Press and hold the Reset button for 3 seconds to select a boot mode.
The system confirms the selection by blinking the power diagnostic LED and the fan LED twice, and then begins to boot the system in the selected boot mode.